[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 11 14:23:45 PDT 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Lew wrote:

> As a start, I suggest it would help if was more widely understood what
> Marx was arguing. At a time when interest in his ideas is
> undiminished -
> in 1999 Marx was voted the "Greatest Thinker of the Millennium" in
> a BBC
> online poll, and then in 2005 he was voted the "Greatest
> Philosopher" in
> another BBC poll - his ideas are still poorly understood.

You don't have to sell me on Marx's wisdom. I've read a lot of what Marx wrote about money and finance, more than most people who call themselves Marxists I'd guess, and I don't recall seeing a whole lot about the shape of a future society beyond suggestive generalities. We're not going to solve the problem by reading Marx more closely. Your attitude toward Marx is scriptural.

Doug