[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 15:18:56 PDT 2008

Like I said, we really don't know what they thought. Maybe it was "oh my hard fate -- what did I do to so anger the gods?" Maybe it was "darn, I wish my king had put up a better fight in the war; then these damn Romans would be toiling in our mines!" Maybe it was "slavery is an oppressive institution and should be abolished!" Who knows?

But anyway I don't see any evidence that the institution of slavery was ever a serious matter of contention, unlike say it was in Europe and the US during circa 1800. "The ruling ideas of every era are the ideas of the ruling class" does not mean that people who weren't in the ruling class thought like early 21st-century people. :)