[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Fri Mar 14 12:00:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:04:59 +1100 (EST), Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Oh sorry, Dmyiti. I thought you were making claims about what Marx had
> written about what money was and I had just read this from CAPITAL VOLUME
I:

No, just stating an assumption based on a very general understanding of Marx's position here.

As I said, I not a Marx scholar.

In any case, from the information posted here, it seems the only dispute is what is actually called "money."

To me, money is is simply the memory of an economic exchange, no matter how it manifests.

I don't believe that the problem with actually existing money is the fact that it circulates, as I and others have said, specialization of labour implies exchange. Rather the problem is a matter of limited circulation and supply, and rents resulting from the resulting scarcity, which some models of alternative currency could alleviate, i.e. RipplePay.

Money is only a problem because too few people have it, IMO

This, in my view, has more to do with distribution of productive assets, then any intrinsic feature of Money.

>From what you and others have quoted, Marx seems to agree, he just
wouldn't call alternative or community currencies "money."

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net