[lbo-talk] Renters priced out of L.A.

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 15 16:42:01 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Andie asks:
>

>> Do you think that might be explained in part by NYers
>> using public transit more and being less likely to
>> have cars?
>>

> I think there's a tendency to think of NYers as all being like Doug:
> Manhattanites, skipping around in subways and cabs, not having owned a
> car in years.
>
> This says otherwise: http://www.schallerconsult.com/pub/cityinflux.pdf
>
> /jordan

This says ~30% of NYer's travel to work by car while ~80% of workers in LA travel to work by car. In LA only ~10% took public transportation while in NY it's ~35%. ~10% of NYer's take a cab but the number is almost immeasurably low in LA. <2% ~30% of NYer's walk or bike but in LA it's <5% How is this saying otherwise? 1 in 3 public transit riders in the entire US are in NY and 2 in 3 train riders are in NY.

When I lived in NYC and Chicago I didn't own a car, even when I lived in Lake Forest. I wouldn't try that anywhere else in the US except maybe Seattle. NY is exceptional in the US and drastically so when it comes to public transportation usage.

John Thornton