[lbo-talk] populist eruptions

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 10:49:47 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

>We're going to spend public money on this (the Fed's actions so far
>aren't really expenditures in that sense, though they do put its
>balance sheet at risk). So we should get something in return - a
>better-regulated, more equitable financial system, with new
>experimental institutions, like nonprofit and cooperative banks. And
>on the other end, new forms of ownership, like limited equity
>arrangements, in return for the rescue of mortgagors.

I want any expenditure of funds benefiting a private financial institution to be conditioned on the company accepting a voluntary 25% tax surcharge on every dollar of its employees' pay above $250,000 for 5 years. It would finance a sliver of the bailout and, more importantly, help to change norms in the high-end labor market.

Seth