[lbo-talk] Subprime Pritzker pure gold for Obama

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 13:56:41 PDT 2008

> I don't personally recall when we made Max umpire. And eyes
> which can see hope in Barack Obama don't seem to me to
> constitute a very good qualification for the job. However,
> such is my zeal for the enlightenment of humankind that
> I will try again, in spite of the old proverb about horses
> and water.
>
> We need to figure out what's the null hypothesis. Max's way

It was said that BHO worships money, period. I asked if anybody could cite one fact about BHO attesting to this. So far, bupkis.

> The null hypothesis -- which needs to be refuted by positive
> evidence -- is that Obama is just like any other Democrat
> until demonstrated to be different. Max asks us to assume Obama
> is different until proven similar.

I asked nothing of the sort, though I happen to think it might be true.

> Perhaps an analogy will help. Max and I go to the zoo, and visit
> the sea-lion pool. Among the graceful glossy pinnipeds one in
> particular stands out: a lean, vigorous handsome creature
> with a rich teak-brown coat and a remarkably melodious
> and prepossessing bark.
>
> Max: Wow! What a great seal!
>
> Me: Sea lion, actually. But yeah, he's a champ.
>
> Max: What do you think he eats?
>
> Me: Why... uh... herring, I guess, like the other
> sea lions.
>
> Max: I don't think so. I think he's a vegan seal.
>
> Me: Sea lion. And I never heard of one who was a
> vegan. Doesn't seem likely.
>
> Max [excitedly]: Prove it!

DP affiliation is not quite like a zoological species classification. Not at all, actually. For one thing, we don't expect sea lions to respond to historical conjunctures.