[lbo-talk] Recommended Reading

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Mar 18 16:30:19 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 19:50:19 Bill Quimby wrote:
> I think that what we read here is the draft of a rather memorable (for bourgeois
> democracy) acceptance or inaugural speech. It will be interesting to see if
> he develops some of these anti-corporate threads as he goes along

I didn't actually hear any "anti-corporate threads" in it -- perhaps it needs a second read.

But it is so good, and so much more intelligent, than what Americans are used to, that it may just have put him in the White House. Hillary certainly can't dance like that on the edge of the volcano that we all know is there. Hillary's all, like, *what* volcano?

To what effect, who knows? Among the brilliant bits there were many worse-than-leaden moments -- the Israel stuff being the most dismal and obvious.

Credit where it's due, though: for the first time I have some glimmering of what Obie-mania is all about. Maybe he is to Hillary what Macintosh is to Microsoft.