[lbo-talk] Cheney to public: go fuck yourself

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 19 06:54:44 PDT 2008

[from The Note]

ABC's Martha Raddatz interviews Vice President Dick Cheney during his Middle East trip. "There's a general consensus that we've made major progress; that the surge has worked," he said. "That's been a major success."

Told that two-thirds of the American people tell pollsters that they don't think the war is worth fighting, Cheney responded (with one of THOSE smiles), "So?"

Raddatz: "So -- you don't care what the American people think?"

Cheney: "I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls. Think about what would have happened if Abraham Lincoln had paid attention to polls, if they had had polls during the Civil War."