[lbo-talk] forbearance

Doug Henwood DHENWOOD at PANIX.COM
Wed Mar 19 06:59:10 PDT 2008

[This reminds me of the failed strategy to save the S&Ls in the 1980s: keep lowering standards in the hope that everything will work out. It didn't, and it took $200b of federal money to make it all work out in the end. We're not there yet.]

NEWS ALERT from The Wall Street Journal

March 19, 2008

Fannie and Freddie's regulator unveiled a reduction of the capital the firms must hold to 20% from 30% previously. Ofheo said the move could provide up to $200 billion in immediate liquidity to the troubled mortgage-backed securities market. "We believe they can play an even more positive role in providing the stability and liquidity the markets need right now," Ofheo Director James Lockhart said in a statement.

Treasury Secretary Paulson lauded the move. "Additional capital will enable the companies to help more homeowners and will strengthen the underlying fundamentals of the mortgage market," he said.

For more information see: http://online.wsj.com/article/ SB120593069669648325.html?mod=djemalertNEWS