[lbo-talk] anxiety across the border

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 20:34:44 PDT 2008

That really doesn't surprise me. I've long known Americans have levels of anxiety and depression that are just off the charts relative to most of the world, especially & including the 3rd world.

I have repeated maybe 4 or 5 times now on this list the shocking statistic from the Harvard School of Public Health that *if current trends continue* by 2020 "unipolar major depression" will be the 2nd leading cause of disability in adult Americans, behind heart disease, and just before accidents that have physical repercussions. I think both the NIH and/or NIMH have adopted this stat as fact and mention it often.

So it actually sounds likes these immigrants are doing what nativists say immigrants don't want to do -- that is, they are assimilating into the American culture.

-B.

WD wrote:

"The World Mental Health Survey, conducted in 2002, found that only 6.6 percent of Mexicans had ever experienced a major episode of anxiety of depression. Meanwhile, to their north, 28.8 percent of the American population has been afflicted with anxiety, the highest level in the world. Mexicans who move to the United States adapt, becoming more anxious."