[lbo-talk] Clinton takes lead over Obama in Gallup poll

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Mar 20 06:18:43 PDT 2008

Yea, lets get real here. I "dreamt" on it last night, woke up and saw a poll report that the Independent vote comparison between McCain and O swung from O ahead by ten percent in February to McCain ahead by ten percent now; and the poll Wojtek cites. I realized I've been in O's "Dreams from his father" and ML King's dream. And the nightmare of racism in America is still strong enough that O can't win. O's campaign has shown that White Americans have come along some compared with 20 years ago, but not enough. There is still too much racism in too many of 'em.

The Ferraro long knife stab and O's relationship with the Rev. Wright and his church merely expresses the fact that O is an average Black person , not a Clarence Thomas/Thomas Sowell negro-type. But his being a Black person is what will prevent him from winning.

I don't know if O can get the nomination. The super-delegates are likely to be pragmatic enough to see that America is not quite there yet.

The LBO-talk theme of O's supporters being maniacs is actually an indirect expression of the very realistic observation that O supporters are dreaming if they think O, a Black person, can win in the US.

You've come a long way America, but you are not quite to MLK's dream land yet. In the poet's words, the dream is still deferred.

CB