[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 11:46:51 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> The ticking time bomb scenario (TTBS), for instance, and like
> situations was
> a fiction from the beginning. It doesn't exist and it is not
> likely to
> exist.

I like Slavoj Zizek's argument about this. The TTBS is crap, so it shouldn't be brought up at all. So we should have a blanket moral prohibition of torture. But in the very very very unlikely event there *were* a TTBS, we could violate our own moral strictures, as one might do in any extreme case.

Doug