[lbo-talk] Pfizer, SEIU and the "Cholesterol Con"

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 13:03:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> [I've had Goozner on my program - he's a good guy.]
>
> <http://www.gooznews.com/archives/000997.html>
>
> March 20, 2008
> Pfizer, SEIU and the "Cholesterol Con"
>
> I heard about this a few days ago, but couldn't pursue it because I
> was tied up. So I'm reprinting the Health Beat Blog's story, by
> Maggie Mahar of the Century Foundation:
>
> A couple of weeks ago Dr. Alicia Fernandez, an associate professor of
> clinical medicine at UC San Francisco, received a very unusual letter
> from The International Association of EMTS and Paramedics, an
> affiliate of The National Association of Government Employees (IAEP/
> SEIU).

Never heard of IAEP prior to today. Its website says it's a 7,000 member unit in NAGE, a 40,000+ member primarily federal workers' union that affiliated with SEIU some years ago. In contrast, SEIU has 1.9 million members. No idea if NAGE or SEIU have explicit policies that prohibit this sort of thing.