[lbo-talk] populist eruptions

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 23:26:48 PDT 2008

Subprimes and CDOs: I have a crazy idea -- housing ought to be a right, not a privilege.

You can say, yeah, but that's too big a goal given the really existing political situation (some would argue that that is the case for about 80% of what we discuss here, though). The Fed's actions were apparently pretty radical. Guaranteed public housing seems like an appropriately radical solution.

It ought to be at least something kept in the bigger picture while the extremely wonk-ish and reformist intricacies of regulatory reform, more SEC oversight, analyses of exotic financial webs and how brokerages got nailed hard -- or whatever -- are discussed.

-B.

Ben Jackson wrote:

"I'm late to this thread, but could you (or anyone) expand on what some of these might look like if starting capital were available? And how would nonprofit and cooperative banks differ from credit unions?"