[lbo-talk] Noticed an oddity

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:28:49 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton posted:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/355994_chinaed.html>

Tibet: A familiar path

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER EDITORIAL BOARD

<snip>

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi isn't among those supporters, and according to The Washington Post, President Bush is privately pressing China to ease up on the Tibetans. Diplomacy is great, but if that doesn't yield results, is Bush prepared to call for an Olympic boycott? If not, what's next?

[...]

Calling on Bush to sponsor a morality-based boycott of the Olympics is like demanding one mafia don lecture another for running rackets.

But I guess that sort of cognitive dissonance (or reality distortion) is to be expected.

In fact, the friends I mentioned in my previous post, when pressed about their responsibilities closer to home, chalked up the ongoing occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan to Bush and co. Which is undeniable. They went on however, to declare that none of that had anything to do with them ("I marched against the war!" one global paladin shouted). So, they're free to lecture Chinese "netizens" and raise a ruckus about another government's actions. It's one of their duties as "citizens of the world."

Sure, I say. Sure, why not. You're good people.

But like many other traveling salesmen, you eager 'Citizens of The World have a knack for stepping over messes at home as you hit the road.

.d.