[lbo-talk] Two excerpts from Gore Vidal's HOLLYWOOD...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 25 22:45:29 PDT 2008

Gore Vidal's "Hollywood" Two excerpts

"Such a meaningless word." Although Caroline's teeth were set on edge by all

political rhetoric, the reverent intoning of the national nonsense-word

"democracy" most irritated her. The much admired Harvard professor George Santayana, now

retired and withdrawn to Europe, had noted the curiously American faculty for

absolute belief in the absolutely untrue as well as the curiously American

inability to detect a contradiction because, as he had written, an "incapacity for

education, when united with great inner vitality, is one root of idealism."

That was it—-American idealism, the most unbearable aspect of these people.

++++

Silently, Wilson folded the handkerchief in four. "So must we all, now, go to

Caesar. "To our masters," Burden smiled, as he always did, when he contemplated the

fiction that the American people in any way controlled their own fate. The

Constitution had largely excluded them while custom had, paradoxically, by enlarging

the franchise limited any meaningful participation in government by the

governed. Naturally, the emotions of the people had to be taken into account, but those

emotions could be easily manipulated by demagogues and press.

http://www.iww.org.au/node/10 "Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill http://www.iww.org/en/join

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address. www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail