[lbo-talk] "pointing finger of the neighbourhood"

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Mar 26 02:02:33 PDT 2008

I've always thought that Carrol's theory of revolution has a distinctly negative theological bent to it, the revolution makes itself felt through its very unknowability. As to its value, well it seemed to have kept some protestants entertained for a while.

Personally, I find all of this unknowability a bit daft. Keep in mind, I don't think that utopian thought can adequately forecast political change, but it does point to the possibilities of radical transformation in the here and now. Capitalism is made productive precisely through this crisis. It constantly produces new conditions for collectivity and resistance, and couldn't survive without them. This is what Bloch called the novum and what Benjamin called a weak messianic trace. But then again, I'm a Spinozist and not a Calvinist. robert wood