[lbo-talk] Revolutionary preferences & pathways (was "pointing finger of the neighbourhood")

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 06:14:38 PDT 2008

But isn't the judgment that a society is better that more fully satisfies the prefences it engenders itself a value judgment? It's anathema (no pun intended) to many religious worldviews, and thus societies built on them, or to essentially antidemocratic (in a strong sense of the term) worldviews.

Also, I don't see why a priori one could exclude the possibility that such a society would contain features we (the royal we :) ) find repugnant.

--- Michael McIntyre <mcintyremichael at mac.com> wrote: One need not understand "better" in the sense Chris does here. One could imagine a quasi-Rawlsian "veil of ignorance" in which the those choosing the best society know, among other things, the distribution of preferences in these alternative societies. The "better" society - the one preferred behind this veil of ignorance, would presumably be the one which satisfies best the preferences it engenders. No system of values need attach to this choice - one is amoral with respect to the moral goodness or badness of the preferences themselves.

Mataiotes mataioteton, eipen ho Ekklasiastes, mataiotes mataioteton, ta panta mataiotes.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs