[lbo-talk] U Texas to U California

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 13:16:42 PDT 2008

So not everybody in Texas is a yahoo:

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-ucprez28mar28,1,4817846.story>http<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-ucprez28mar28,1,4817846.story>://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-ucprez28mar28,1,4817846.story

Mark G. Yudof of the University of Texas wins unanimous approval -- and annual compensation of $828,084, which triggers protests. By Larry Gordon Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

March 28, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO -- Mark G. Yudof, the head of the University of Texas system, was formally hired Thursday to be the next president of the University of California and given a $828,084 annual compensation package that triggered protests from some students and employees.

The Board of Regents voted unanimously to hire Yudof, and its chairman, Richard C. Blum, said the $591,084 base salary and $237,000 in supplemental pension payments and other benefits next year were what the competitive marketplace demanded for such a top-flight academic and manager. That would be nearly double what his predecessor, Robert C. Dynes, receives but only about 12% more than Yudof's $742,000 package in Texas.

"He's expensive, but he's worth it," said Blum, who added that UC did not want to get into a bidding war in case Texas tried hard to keep Yudof.

[....]