[lbo-talk] More "populist eruption": CNN vid contrasts Bear bailout w/ homeowners' plight

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 07:39:27 PDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:13 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> However, I have yet to see any respectable commentator note the
> rather glaring inefficiency of filtering relief for low-income and
> unemployed workers through the obscenely rich.

I don't think anyone's making the argument that keeping financial institutions from going under is going to help people at risk of losing their houses. Unless you want a rerun of 1929-32 - and though I know a couple of people who do, I'm assuming you don't - there has to be what looks like aid to the obscenely rich. If you've got a better idea, please suggest one. There are a lot of people, even some mainstream Democrats, talking about schemes to help out borrowers who are in over their heads.

Doug