[lbo-talk] The latest outrage from Rev. Wright

(Chuck Grimes) cgrimes at rawbw.COM
Thu May 1 21:00:04 PDT 2008

On 02-May-2008 Doug Henwood wrote:

> On May 1, 2008, at 10:08 PM, (Chuck Grimes) wrote:
>> Reading between the lines, it sounds like Obama wanted to pick up on
>> how to approach very liberal views in ordinary language from Wright
>> and that is precisely what he got.
>
> Adolph Reed's interpretation was that Obama was looking for black
> cred so he could run for mayor. He had the Hyde Park white liberals
> in his pocket, but needed to broaden his base.

-----

I was trying to be generous and give him the benefit of the doubt. But learning how to talk to working class black folk as ludicrious as that sounds---well that works. I know from long experience there is definitely an organic vetting process, being white and all---but then again it is a fabulous experience to have. You gotta show your heart to get in the door with a smile. It doesn't always work. There is a kind of `show me your stuff' attitude that means what it means. Put out your hand first. So I do, because it's my job and it's in the heart---in some inexplicable way. You build solidarity by walking right up to it. And, this is very traditional americana.

That's Obama's problem. He absolutely can not be embarassed that Wright is his pastor. That's what `we' call diversity, dude, get it?

CG