[lbo-talk] The latest outrage from Rev. Wright

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon May 5 08:33:26 PDT 2008

Of course Wright is not wrong in his criticism of the US, just that there ain't no future in Black /white disunity, and masses of whites are not ready to hear Wright's level of critique. How many whites have been persuaded of Wright's ideas , now that he has a national platform ?

minus 5 million ? Whereas O has millions of white people listening to his unifying, "milder" anti-racist themes. Anytime Black people are voting for O 9-1, it is highly unlikely his position on racism is off.the mark or Uncle Tomming.

Nothing wrong with O running for Mayo Chicago, so talking about that as some kind of ulterior motive is off.

I think Reed and Wright are ultra -leftists and suffering from some kind of envy ("Haterism") of O.

Being a "bilingual"/Standard English/Black English speaker, myself, and having read some of O's bio, I doubt he needed to learn how to speak Black English by the time he got to Chicago. The whole discussion proceeds as if O is a fake "liberal" or progressive. Like he's really just an egomaniac or something. Naw He's just as genuinely progressive as anybody here, but he figured out something new that works in reaching the millions - a new liberal in the good or left sense of liberal.

On Meet the Press , O managed to remain to the left of Clinton still. Despite his need to separate from Wright , O refused to pander to saber rattlers on Iran, emphasized need for diplomacy and economic aid to "Middle Eastern ", wouldn't agree to a "nuclear umbrella" there. Clinton and McCain seem to be on the same team quite a bit. Is that what they mean by "triangulation" ?

I'm like Carrol now, as I had emergency eye surgery on May Day, so I can't write much on this, but from what I've been able to read , the analysis of O and Blackness here needs a lot of help again Guess I'll have to leave it up to Dwayne to handle .

O gets" it" better than Reed, Wright, or his critics here.

Purblind Charlie