[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Mon May 5 11:47:24 PDT 2008

>>>Because he's able to claim racial insider standing, he
>>> actually goes beyond Clinton and rehearses the scurrilous and
>>> ridiculous sort of narrative Bill Cosby has made infamous.
>
>> Which is why I'm flummoxed as to why on earth Michael Eric Dyson
>> supports Obama.

>Because Obamamania is a febrile disorder, not a rational choice.
>
>Doug

OK, I don't get it. I don't buy the special awfulness of Obama any more than I buy the special specialness of Obama. What is it about someone supporting Obama that brings out the teeth and claws in a way support for Clinton (Nader, McKinney, McCain) doesn't? I mean, here's Adolph Reed saying he thinks Clinton is better--isn't that equally insupportable? So if Michael Eric Dyson supports Obama, that means he's infected with some kind of irrationality virus? What would we rather have him do, stump for Nader? Sit it out? Denounce them all?--a strategy that if successful will simply help depress voter turnout, not to mention voters. The options are limited. It's not Dyson's only political act this year for Chrissake, or even this week.

Jenny Brown