[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 13:17:36 PDT 2008

--- Jenny Brown <jbrown72073 at cs.com> wrote:

> OK, I don't get it. I don't buy the special
> awfulness of Obama any more than I buy the special
> specialness of Obama. What is it about someone
> supporting Obama that brings out the teeth and claws
> in a way support for Clinton (Nader, McKinney,
> McCain) doesn't? I mean, here's Adolph Reed saying

[WS:] Actually, it is quite simple. I call it a two big fish in a small pond syndrome. If you vie for influence in a small market niche, your main competitor is someone occupying the same niche - not someone outside that niche.

If elected, Obama has a potential for re-writing Black identity politics and what passes for Black leadership. Noone in his right mind will think that Clinton can do the same - she is an outsider to that market niche. That makes a lot of people in that market niche very uneasy about fairly progressive Obama, but they are quite comfortable with the "triangulating" Clinton.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ