[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue May 6 12:45:32 PDT 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Charles Brown wrote:

> I've got some names for the disorder that persists in attributing
> "disorders'" to people like Dyson for supporting O. It's starting to
> seem like crypto-_____, for one.

Whoa, Charles. Whoa. Adolph is brilliant. And also black. And Doug is a man whose fundamental good heart I would defend with my fists. Racism is the ultimate insult. You don't want to be throwing it at either of them, even a little, even under erasure. That's crossing the electric fence of civilized discourse.

Obamanians and anti-Obamanians both exaggerate. A lot. But I don't think either of them are powered by their dark side. On the contrary, I think both sides, both the enthusiasm and its denunciation, is anchored in some of these people's most laudable qualities: depth of desire on the one side; and a fealty to critical reason on the other.

Boy I can't wait 'til there's only standing. This narcissism of small differences is really beginning to turn poison.

Michael