[lbo-talk] Obama: let my Teamsters go!

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue May 6 19:25:36 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Mark Rickling <mrickling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 6, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> > > If this were a principled stand on Obama's part it would be
> > > supportable. As
> > > the Sparts say: "The state out of the union movement!"
>
> > Yeah, I actually have a lot of sympathy with this position.
>
> So the Wagner Act was a bad idea? Some, such as Chris Tomlins in The
> State and the Unions, would argue so. I don't agree, but given the
> recent fate of the labor movement one has to at least acknowledge that
> point of view. However, I don't see much of a reversal in the current
> ranks of the organized without more state involvement, in the form of
> EFCA.

I was being provocative. Unlike the Sparts I believe that in some respect these are strategic and tactical issues. NLRB recognition and regulation is a different matter from a court ordered trusteeship over a whole union or a local. The former a union can live with and use just so it doesn't become a fetish. The latter has always been a bad deal. I don't know of an exception. Do you?

Jerry