[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:09:07 PDT 2008

Yes you have. When I got back on the list in March, you asked if I was out shilling for Obama in Ohio. And I am- at least, I put a yard sign up, talked to some neighbors and co-workers, and did a little volunteer doorknocking, and organized a group of my friends to go together to vote on the election day here. So I said to you yeah, I don't think he's so amazing as some of his fans think, but I do think he's measurably more progressive than Clinton, has a better shot in the general election against McCain, think the enthusiasm he's mobilized in the black and young adult communities is a good thing, and have more trust for a former community organizer than for someone connected to the administration that brought us nafta welfare reform and the iraq sanctions. Not alot more trust, but some. Any individual contesting in the mainstream for that office under current conditions is going to reflect them to a significant degree, but as you've said doug, when dealing with such vast amounts of power like in the presidency, small degrees of difference can become substantial.