[lbo-talk] Pokie; Black as inherently second class in America

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri May 9 06:57:32 PDT 2008

>>> "Joseph Catron"

> This is in part why it is somewhat absurd to try to tag O as
"elitist"
> as the media and his opponents did following the "bitter" comments.
> Black in America is an inherently second class status, even for most
> middle class Black people .

Are you arguing that no black person can ever be an elitist? Barack Obama, nor Patrice Motsepe, nor any of the the upper middle class of Prince George's County? Or am I misreading you?

^^^^^^^

CB: That the general American historio-cultural fact I described makes it very difficult for a Black person in relation to a white person as in the incident concerning Obama and a "small town" white person. The case of an "educated" status of a Black person in relation to a less educated white person becomes status hierarchy neutralized by the inherent higher status of white over Black in America. It's not impossible , but pretty difficult. The poorest farmer can call the "highest" Black person "boy", and get away with it.

Of course, in thet case there was a further distortion in that Obama seemed to be expressing some sympathy for an economically depressed small town person. Also, he directly referred to the scape-goating disdain for "different" others and immigrants.