[lbo-talk] Image of the day

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 10:34:07 PDT 2008

I think it depends on the part of Ukraine you're talking about. Nazi treatment of the population differed greatly in the West and the East, and you can definitely see the effects of this today in the different attitudes toward the war in the various parts of Ukraine. Western Ukraine (Galacia) had been recently taken over by the Soviets, a fact the Nazis used to their advantage.

"SS General" is sort of a Catch-22 in Stalingrad. It's a really dark, funny book told from the POV of a Dane serving in the Nazi army as part of a penal battalion (which Hassell was).

Speaking of which, it's Victory Day!

--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tons 'o Ukrainians acted as partisans for the
> invading
> Nazis, no?
>
> Chris, if you haven't, you should definitely see
> Russian film director Elem Klimov's _Come & See_,
> about the Nazi invasion of the USSR in WWII. I
> forgot
> if I asked you about this. It takes place in Ukraine
> if memory serves.

Mataiotes mataioteton, eipen ho Ekklasiastes, mataiotes mataioteton, ta panta mataiotes.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ