[lbo-talk] Elitism (wasRe: Pokie; Black as inherently second class in America)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri May 9 20:27:12 PDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 10:19 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The words "elitism" and "elitist," meaningless in themselves, have
>> long (always) been the watermark of every anti-intellectual racist
>> demagogue in this benighted country. They should be banned from
>> civilized discourse, or at least only referred to as "the e word," as
>> distinctly worse than "the n word" which some people, at least, use
>> subversively or even affectionately.
>
> You seriously propose that "elitist" is a code word for a person of
> color?

What voice in your head was ascreaming "code word, code word?" If I could think of any anti-intellectual demagogue who wasn't also a racist I would have written *The words "elitism" and "elitist," meaningless in themselves, have long (always) been the watermark of every anti-intellectual demagogue in this benighted country.*

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos