[lbo-talk] Elitism (wasRe: Pokie; Black as inherently second class in America)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat May 10 17:37:52 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> If I
> could think of any anti-intellectual demagogue who wasn't also a
> racist I would have written *The words "elitism" and "elitist,"
> meaningless in themselves, have long (always) been the watermark of
> every anti-intellectual demagogue in this benighted country.*

First Charles Brown argues that blacks cannot be elitists; now you apparently state that neither they nor any other people of color can be anti-elitists. (I know enough exceptions to each claim to avoid any danger of taking either seriously.) While I understand (but do not accept) the historical-materialist basis for Charles' position, I cannot imagine any possible justification for a sweeping - and absurd - claim such as yours with so many glaring flaws. Have you really never encountered any mistrust of academic and cultural authority among anyone but Whitey & Co.? If not, do you ever leave your house?