[lbo-talk] street-level racism

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Tue May 13 16:38:48 PDT 2008

WS says, "For those of us white people who grew up watching The Cosby Show,etc., the hip brand of racism is the kind satirized on sites likehttp://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/. This is a brand of racism thatmakes a lot of young whites feel good about, say, voting for BHO andsimultaneously care nothing about structural racism reflected in blackincarceration and unemployment rates."

This might well be true. I do wonder what you would hear in poorer towns among young white guys. I don't know. Or even talk among younger more affluent whites when they are among themselves.

If what you say is so, then we really can't expect young whites who vore for Obama to be charging forward to eliminate the social structures that generate racist outcomes.

Michael Yates-