[lbo-talk] street-level racism

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 13 17:38:32 PDT 2008

yeahbutt, this is an example of what Miles talks about re: the need for social structure to change first, then ideas change. Take it away Miles.... :)

also, I think what Wojtek was saying is that there aren't an inconsiderable number of liberals who vote for obama to prove they're not racists. Or, what Gloria Yamato calls covert racism in an essay published in _this bridge called my back_.

this isn't a reason not to vote for him, or support those who do....

Look, I suppose it's like all these blowouts that have been happening in feminist bloglandia where people talk the talk about anti-racism, but don't actually walk the walk. Where women of color come out of women's studies classes and programs being told that the new feminism is all about race (and class) and not just gender, but finding out that it's all a lot of lip service....

which, again, highlights Miles' point about the need for structural change to really reinforce things so that it's no longer just talk, but walk.