[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 14 09:53:10 PDT 2008

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I've been in three institutions in my life -- the army, academia and business. Of the three, academia was the worst. Faculty meetings in the small college where I first taught made me feel like I was in some religious order.

I agree -- but this also demonstrates the validity of my previous post. I've been in many weird faculty meetings. But my wife works in IT at State Farm. You should hear her descriptions of meetings there. At least as weird/obnoxious as any faculty meeting I ever experienced. She also worked in the Post Office, and was president of the APWU local for four years (steward for over 12) -- and meetings with PO managers belonged in another universe. Ditto some meetings of union officials or committees, both local and regional.

Don't trust categories on the basis of empirical description. You have to show analyhtically that the description _must_ be as it is described.

Carrol