[lbo-talk] CNA responds on Tenet organizing agreement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 14 14:42:05 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There's a min wage increase in the legislature that Bruno is so far
>> neutral on. 1199's not helping on that.
>
> Are you talking about A9168, which has yet to attract a single Senate
> sponsor from either party?
>
> http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A9168

Its main sponsor is Silver (who for you out-of-staters, is the Dem leader who runs the assembly), and it's got like, what, 20 co- sponsors in the assembly. That's not nothing. And the point of the bill is to raise the minimum wage in line with inflation - how radical! The fact that it has no Senate co-sponsors sort of proves my point (but does an assembly bill ever have Senate co-sponsors? that's not the way it works in the U.S. Congress).

> As for 1199, perhaps their army of pointy-headed political analysts

Does this sort of language increase your working-class cred? Because it makes you sound like Pat Buchanan or Spiro Agnew to me. But I've got to go sharpen my head now.