[lbo-talk] BHO & working-class whites

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 14 16:04:24 PDT 2008

I shouldn't have even replied to this thread. Jerry's question should have been considered rhetorical. I know of no reason why Max, a man whose work I admire, would support murderous policies of any Dem and I doubt Jerry actually has such a concern. I'd be more than shocked if Max took such a position. That said, Max knows there has never been and never will be an example of US military intervention as an "active presence" to maintain the US as "a key player" that wasn't murderous. It is a physically impossible for such a policy to be non-murderous making Max's reply "If they didn't, like, murder anybody." difficult if not impossible to take seriously. I know some list members don't like the term Obamamania but I don't see people whose work I admire and who should know better making similar statements concerning Clinton. If that happens it would be an example of Clintonmania in my opinion.

I've yet to see Clinton's official position on H.R. 2824 but Obama has come out against it making him the only CBC member to do so IIRC. This has earned him much respect in the Native American community and has also resulted in similar unrealistic pronouncements being issued from people who should know better. His position did leave him some wiggle room but it was just what most Native Americans wanted to hear.

I initially preferred Edwards of the top three and I just heard he has announced his support of Obama. I haven't heard if this means he is the likeliest to be tapped for VP by Obama but he always seemed the likeliest for either Obama or Clinton. I don't see how anyone could seriously have entertained an Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket but I've seen it bandied about.

John Thornton