[lbo-talk] bad for the party?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed May 14 15:40:37 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 6:00 PM, shag wrote:

> At 02:04 PM 5/14/2008, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> This is standard issue punditry these days. All of Clinton's attacks
>> on Obama are damaging his image for the general, and giving the Reps
>> ammo they can use. I think it's bullshit - it's a primary, and
>> everyone's going to forget it by July

I agree with Doug--because the Dumbo's are the Opposition. But after the contested or denied nomination of an incumbent president no party has *ever* retained the White House. The list:

1840 Democrats: Van Buren 1860 Democrats: Buchanan 1884 Republicans: Arthur 1912 Republicans: Taft 1920 Democrats: Wilson 1948 Democrats: Truman 1968 Democrats: Johnson 1976 Republicans: Ford 1980 Democrats: Carter

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos