[lbo-talk] bad for the party?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed May 14 15:58:21 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

>This is standard issue punditry these days. All of Clinton's attacks
>on Obama are damaging his image for the general, and giving the Reps
>ammo they can use. I think it's bullshit - it's a primary, and
>everyone's going to forget it by July - but they keep saying it over
>and over.
>
>Doug

like the reps couldn't think up similar and worse attacks on their own? and thanks to Steve for a brief rundown on the history of hotly contested races for presdinet (tm).

^^^^^^^ Clinton, with all her Clintonian baggage, is the first woman to be a leading contender for Pres. One can see that as progressive without falling into mania. Clinton's stooping to racist tactics besmirches the feminist banner she is carrying , even if she hasn't very explicitly featured that historic dimension of her campaign. How much better for the unity of the women's and racial equality movements if she had just appealed to hardworking working class Americans, and left out the stuff about "white".

(Steelworkers' statement on need for bluecollar unity)

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism-thaxis/2008-May/022206.html )

As to the reps coming up with the same attacks as Clinton or worse, I can see an argument that Clinton's early attacks have given Barry a sort of vaccine against the coming rep attacks, making him better able to resist the reps. But that's a pretty fancy theory. Hopefully, the "he can't get blue collar votes" stuff will cause him to ...well...really come with strong pro-bluecollar talk...followed by real strong bluecollar stuff if elected...with a lot of support in Congress...which might happen since Dems just won three interim elections from rep favored districts in Illinois, Louisiana and Mississippi.

________