[lbo-talk] BHO & working-class whites

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 16 08:37:42 PDT 2008

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > .
> > ===================================
> > Which is why the "left" (apologies to Carrol), > party.
>

> Marvin, I am not asking you to agree with me, but you can at least try to
> see how I see the difference.

Yes. Marvin apparently doesn't understand the locus of my objections to references to "The Left." That locus is the Unit3d States, 1985-to present. I would have no objection whatever to his use of "The Left" (not the "Left") here, and probably have often made such statements myself. "The Left" clearly exists over time, and always will as long ascapitalism exists. But there is no _coherent_ left, AT THE PRESENT TIME, in the United States that can be the refrent of a critique, negative or positive.

I don't know whether Marvin is being obtuse or insulting in this instance.

Carrol