[lbo-talk] bad for the party?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 16 11:53:28 PDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Dennis Perrin wrote:
> Doug:
>
> "It may well be that the country just isn't as
> conservative as it was 20 years ago, and is getting less so all the
> time."
>
> Man, I wish that were true. Depends on how you define
> "conservative," I
> suppose.

Well, less friendly to war, less exercised by same-sex marriage, less hostile towards poor people, more secular. It's partly demographic - younger people are less conservative than their predecessors (if the polls are to be believed), and the hard core of bible-thumping reactionaries tends to be older, and they're fading.

Doug