[lbo-talk] bad for the party?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri May 16 13:10:00 PDT 2008

Dennis Perrin wrote:
> Doug:
>

>> Well, less friendly to war, less exercised by same-sex marriage, less
>> hostile towards poor people, more secular. It's partly demographic -
>> younger people are less conservative than their predecessors (if the
>> polls are to be believed), and the hard core of bible-thumping
>> reactionaries tends to be older, and they're fading.
>>

> Yes, yes -- but don't romanticize the young out in these parts, or in my old
> stomping grounds of central Indiana. There are plenty of young
> reactionaries, and their demographic is fed things like mixed martial arts
> and fundamentalist Christianity. I see it every day. It depresses the hell
> out of me.
>
> Dennis_
But the sociodemographic trend over the past 50 years is clear: compared to their parents' generation, each new generation in the U. S. is more likely to have the nonconservative attitudes Doug mentions above. Sure, in a nation of 300 mill, there are plenty of young reactionaries, but as a proportion of the U. S. population, there are dwindling with each generation. (As I see it, this is a clear vindication of Marx's argument in the Manifesto about the "cosmopolitan character" of capitalist production.)

Miles