[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 09:54:52 PDT 2008

I want to deconstruct this argument a bit. Religion and its truth was the main antagonist in all the intellectual clashes through at least Voltaire. Science versus Religion, Religion versus Religion (Protestant vs Catholic) and Secular Power versus Religion were thesignificant battles up through the French Rev. Literature was kind of a handmaiden or spectator of these clashes, not in the ring in the same way as the power players.

In Renaissance English lit, at least, the real issue for the artist, from Chaucer forward, was not the "truth" of art, but how it fit in with the given social order. Preferment and patronage were always present as motives; celebration, entertainment and flattery are the most common literary occasions. The writers we love -- Chaucer, Shakespear, Donne -- were those who could nevertheless allow the dissenting, dissatisfied, questioning, amused individual to emerge in the middle of their otherwise conventional worlds.

My point is that all the writers of these eras were embedded in and dependent on their social matrix. 19th century writers were the first who saw themselves outside the social matrix, and began to claim a separate "truth" for their work.

BW

Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

Re: Sidney/ I'd have to go to the library to look it up. But it's a famous passage where he defends the poets from the charge of lying.

Joanna