[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 18 17:15:28 PDT 2008

Joanna wrote:

> Re: Sidney/
> I'd have to go to the library to look it up. But it's a famous passage
> where he defends the poets from the charge of lying.

So as the other Artistes, and especially the Historian, affirming manie things, can in the clowdie knowledge of mankinde, hardly escape from manie lies. But the Poet as I said before, never affirmeth, the Poet never maketh any Circles about your imagination{103}, to conjure you to beleeve for true, what he writeth: he citeth not authorities of other histories, even for his entrie, calleth the sweete Muses to inspire unto him a good invention. In troth, not laboring to tel you what is, or is not, but what should, or should not be. http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Erbear/defence.html

Sidney was concerned with history and religion, though, and not science (i.e. natural philosophy)

Carrol