[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 19 14:11:29 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> [from The Note]
>>
>> "Obama plans
>> to use speeches and campaign events to reinforce his patriotic image
>> to America by evoking his grandparent's military background.
>>

> Lame! Whose grandparents DON'T have military backgrounds? The Swiss'
> and Costa Ricans'?

My SO's family has no military participation going back to the Civil War. They make a big deal about that participation even today and have a lot of Civil War memorabilia, most of it directly from this one person. The screamingly funny part is that this man, a farmer, took his gun to the battlefield and when the shooting started he shit his pants and laid down pretending to be wounded. He crawled away that night and returned to his farm never to participate in combat again. He "fought" for the North at Wilson's Creek Missouri. I don't know how they managed to avoid WWII, Korea, Vietnam etc. but they did.

I bet there are many other families like them.

John Thornton