[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:15:43 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > [from The Note]
> >
> > "Obama plans
> > to use speeches and campaign events to reinforce his patriotic image
> > to America by evoking his grandparent's military background.
>
> Lame! Whose grandparents DON'T have military backgrounds? The Swiss'
> and Costa Ricans'?

Joseph,

Well the Swiss have universal military service and you used to get to bring your gun home. (I think you still do.) So all males, and today even many females, in Switzerland serve in the armed forces. (If we in the U.S. were allowed to take home our machine guns after serving in the armed forces universal military service would probably be much more respectable.) So to answer your question it would be very hard to find even one Swiss citizen who doesn't have a grandparent with a military background.

Sorry to be pedantic, but universal military service and an armed citizenry was an important principle of old time radical republicanism, so I thought I would take note.

Jerry