[lbo-talk] Megabus.com: competition for Greyhound

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon May 19 18:39:30 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Bargain bus service Megabus, which touted fares as low as $1, said
> Friday that it would pull out of Los Angeles because of low ridership.
>
> The decision to shut down the hub, which was expected, came less than a
> year after Megabus began service from Los Angeles to cities including
> San Francisco and Las Vegas.

That's a shame. My wife and I were in Mexico last month and we were struck by the incredibly comfortable and efficient Mexican bus system.

As far as we could tell, 10 to 20 bucks gets you a clean, smooth trip to just about any major city in the country, with a bad dubbed American movie to watch along the way if you're so inclined.

I gave up on Greyhound long ago: It's dirty, it's not that cheap, there are too many stops, and half the rides have some belligerent drunk bugging everyone. Fuck that.

-WD