[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon May 19 19:57:02 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the Swiss have universal military service and you used to get to bring
> your gun home. (I think you still do.) So all males, and today even many
> females, in Switzerland serve in the armed forces. (If we in the U.S. were
> allowed to take home our machine guns after serving in the armed forces
> universal military service would probably be much more respectable.) So to
> answer your question it would be very hard to find even one Swiss citizen
> who doesn't have a grandparent with a military background.

You're right, of course, and not at all pedantic. I should have remembered that.

This leads us to a rather useless philosophical question. How should we approach the question of universal military service, and specifically resistance to it? Presumably we can all agree that it's preferable to the non-universal kind which is its most common alternative.