[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 20 07:36:43 PDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> This leads us to a rather useless philosophical question. How should
> we approach the question of universal military service, and
> specifically resistance to it? Presumably we can all agree that it's
> preferable to the non-universal kind which is its most common
> alternative.

Now that I'm way past draft age, I see the virtue of a draft. We would not be in Iraq with a draft army. The imperialists realized that you need a professional army to be a proper imperialist power.

And in a non-imperial power, with a genuine self-defense force, universal service seems hard to argue with.

Doug