[lbo-talk] Rove map

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:13:22 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> > Why does anybody with "left" politics _want_ to pay attention to this
> > stuff?
>
> Because we haven't reached your highly evolved state yet.

Doug,

You are just being flippant. Or maybe I am being stupid because I don't understand why you or I should pay attention to this. All you do is decide that the best way to respond is by insult. This seems to me to be ruling class politics that is meant to be both stupid and controlling. The founders set the electoral college up for their reasons of ruling class control and I am not sure why people who oppose the ruling class should pay attention to it.

So instead of being flippant maybe you can explain to me why you pay attention to it. I don't understand why the electoral college is important from a left perspective except as an illustration of ruling class political control. So why should it matter what Rove things about the electoral college map. Why does somebody I admire like you care about it at all? Is it a game? Isn't the only reason to care about it is as something to oppose? Shouldn't the electoral college and Rove's cynical use of the electoral college be nothing more than an example that people on the left can use to show how undemocratic and potentially illegitimate our system of elections actually are? Why give Rove any legitimation in this shit at all? Again I don't get it.

Why use Rove's shit game-playing with electoral system as a cudgel against Obama (as you seem to be doing), or if the situation were reversed, as a cudgel against Clinton? Maybe you have an answer to these questions and you don't care to give them preferring flippancy. Or maybe you are just enjoying the shit-games of Rove-like politics on analogy of what Mencken replied when asked why he didn't leave America, "For the same reason that people go to zoos."

But the impression that you give is that you are pro-Clinton and that is as bad as being pro-Obama. I don't believe or don't want to believe that you are pro-Clinton.

My simplest question is why should we who oppose the ruling classes pay attention to the Electoral College except to point to it as a system that is anti-democratic?

Of course why should you take any of these questions seriously? It is better to select a line and be flippant.

You are busy and certainly have a lot better things to do. I say this without sarcasm but because I believe it. But in that case why even be flippant?

Jerry