[lbo-talk] Congressional Dems trumpet corporate welfare giveaways

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:28:57 PDT 2008

At this rate, I'll be a Republican before I'm 30.

The Associated Press: Mix-up throws House veto override in doubt By MARY CLARE JALONICK and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House overwhelmingly rejected President Bush's veto Wednesday of a $290 billion farm bill, but what should have been a stinging defeat for the president became an embarrassment for Democrats.

Only hours before the House's 316-108 vote, Bush had vetoed the five-year measure, saying it was too expensive and gave too much money to wealthy farmers when farm incomes are high. The Senate then was expected to follow suit quickly.

The underlying bill would make small cuts to direct payments, which are distributed to some farmers no matter how much they grow. It also would eliminate some payments to individuals with more than $750,000 in annual farm income — or married farmers who make more than $1.5 million.

Individuals who make more than $500,000 or couples who make more than $1 million jointly in nonfarm income also would not be eligible for subsidies.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j6fCPxbU1sKcMZ6oULqpGSe6IN9gD90QEGTG0